Tuesday, April 17, 2012

In Progress Critique


I’m never really comfortable showing unfinished work. I realize that it’s an important aspect of art education but I think that it disrupts the completion of and final impact (on anyone who’s seen the in-progress work) of the completed work in a lot of ways.
I really enjoy being surprised by art; I always avoid “behind-the-scenes” type material until I’ve already experienced the work. Having knowledge about the process of how the art was created allows my mind to wonder onto other things besides the work itself. I find myself thinking, “…Oh, that’s how that was done” or I might seek out the artist’s intentions in the work (the one’s that I already know to be there), etc.
Also, I think that any critique or suggestions in the middle of the process of making work can be either: helpful (in the best of cases) or confusing (in most of my cases). I often initially have really strong ideas about how I want the final work to look, feel, sound, etc.  I like to try to see those ideas through to the end and stumble across other ideas along the way. The issue that I have with other opinions before the work is complete is that they can possibly throw me off of my initial ideas. Anything that increases the chance of me second-guessing myself is something that I like to avoid. With all of that said, I don’t think that our class in progress critique had any negative impact on the completion of my project.
Without completed work, we have to sell their ideas alone. This seems like a very important skill to develop for use in more real-world art situations. The in-progress critique as well as the project proposal forced me to think about how to express my intentions with the project through words, which can be difficult to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment